Wednesday, October 04, 2006

What's in a Logo?


When PSR was launched, the marketing was being handled by an advertising agency that I'll call "G." G had created an entire print-radio-centered campaign about PSR. When I first saw the materials and costs though, I was shocked because everything seemed to be billed at "rack rates." In two weeks, a total of P6 million had been spent on PSR marketing.

Worse, I wasn't happy with any of the creative. Even the logo they made (see pic above and compare to the current logo in my Sep 29 post) was unimpressive. On June 26, less than two weeks after joining PW, I met with G and asked them to stop all advertising and marketing. That same day, I sat down with my internal marketing team and changed the PSR logo to one that had been developed in-house. From hereon, we would take charge of all marketing for PSR.

3 comments:

zotium said...

Hi Dennis,

Just a suggestion... you could also run a contest amongst graphic designers for creating a captivating logo. I'm sure you can come up with a more interesting logo than the previous two with just a small prize money.

rick

DV said...

Thanks. That is a good idea and one that we've tried successfully in the past with other FMCG's. The difficulty in this situation was to come up with something FAST, which was why a contest was not possible.

DV said...

Thanks. That is a good idea and one that we've tried successfully in the past with other FMCG's. The difficulty in this situation was to come up with something FAST, which was why a contest was not possible.